Photos by John Hattie, courtesy of Allen Hattie.
power requirements were met by the installation of two 1,250 H.P. units
at Spruce Falls on the Swan River, 13½ miles down river. They were ultimately
intended for use at Island Falls.
Work on the temporary
plant was begun on October 4th, 1928. At Island Falls, interim electricity
was provided by two four KW gasoline driven DC generators. Power was
delivered from Spruce Falls on March 28th, 1929, and continued until
No. 1 unit at Island Falls took over the load on June 8th, 1930.
is one of two 1250 HP units (generators) installed in the winter of
1928 at Spruce Falls for generating power to supply the development
at Island Falls 14 miles upstream.
line 1/2 mile from the temporary power plant at Spruce Falls.
generators, each of the vertical type, were installed in a frame building
and developed power at 550 volts to a bank of outside transformers
rated at 2,000 K.V.A. which stepped up the voltage to 26,400 for transmission
to Island Falls where it was stepped down to 2200 and 550 for distribution.
to the turbines was delivered through two seven-foot diameter, wood-stave
penstocks, each 90 feet long.
fifteen foot timber dam was constructed at the point where the river
empties into Duck Lake, impounding a small forebay. This, together
with the natural fall of 25 feet, produced a forty foot head of water.
above this head water a timber crib dam was built in order to regulate
storage and prevent waste as it was apparent that water would be scarce,
even so, in 1930 low water level made it necessary to find additional
sources of water. The outlet of Barrier Lake was cut through and the
55 square miles of water was lowered six feet in order to supply sufficient
power for the work at Island Falls.